I've successfully used the VO adapter and a variety of threadless faceplate
stems for exactly what you are thinking of doing and would certainly
recommend it.  I found a bunch of used stems or take-offs at some local
shops and in the bins at a co-op for about $5 each and have used several of
those to try to find the best lengths on a couple builds.

I cannot directly compare the VO to Nitto quill adapters but I could
directly compare the VO to SOMA and for what you are looking to achieve I
would strongly recommend the VO over the SOMA (unless you REALLY needed the
height of the SOMA which was much taller in quill length.)  The VO requires
no top cap and has a one piece quill top with counterbore to accept the
bolt head.  The SOMA, on the other hand, uses a separate top cap with a lip
to tighten the quill bolt and wedge after the stem is installed just like
for preload on a full threadless system,  meaning in order to swap
threadless stems you are fully removing the quill from the steering column
each and every time to fit a new stem length whereas with the VO you could
leave the quill adapter in place and simply loosen the stem pinch bolts and
faceplate, drop in the new stem, tighten, and go.

One last note that with the VO the bottom lip where the bolt on stem rests
does limit the stack height of the threadless stems... I want to say it was
around 40mm - VO probably lists in the product page and the VO stems of
course fit seamlessly - A Dimension brand stem I have was just a hair
taller with an ever so slight overlap on top compared to the VO.  None I've
personally tried were so extreme to place a pinch bolt above the top of
adapter but just something to be aware, especially with some 2 bolt stems
that may have a taller stack.

Brian Cole
Lawrence NJ