Hi, Doug.

My three month bike commute is two miles each way and it's the best way to
start the day and to clear my mind at the end of the day.  I was so
frazzled driving on the highway to our former office.

I want my commute to be pleasant no matter the method, so I'm not 100%
riding, but it's close.  If it's below 30* or raining, I'll walk or
walk/bus. I also watch the weather, so if it's going to rain about the time
I leave, I'll leave early or late.  Or, I'll leave my bike at the office
and walk/bus home. I'm lucky that I have options.   I'm also lucky that I
can bring my bike into my office.  I leave work pants and shoes at the
office during the week and change them at work.  Also, although no route is
100% safe for me, I try to ride on roads with bike lanes or on less
traveled roads if no bike specific lanes are available.  There are a lot of
reflectors and lights on my bike and me (I wear a good reflector vest).  I
need to start taking a lock, too, so if I want to stop somewhere on the way
home, I can.

I settled on a single pannier.  It's plenty big for everything I carry.
Even though it does take up more space, I put my container-ed lunch in an
insulated sealable lunch bag, protecting my other items in case of a
container leak.

Now that days are longer and warmer after work, my plan (haven't done it
yet) is to ride right to the MUP after work for another 10 miles.

No matter biking, walking or walking/bus combo, it's all better than
driving in traffic.  I also feel better and am sleeping a bit better.

Keep us informed!

Roberta