Hello all,

Big thing for me was getting the luggage right. Commuted with a large
backpack for a year or so, which was not good for my back.
Switched to panniers when I got a different job and bought a more
rack-friendly bike, but then went off panniers after another
job change that involved carrying panniers off the bike for longer
distances. Now I have a large front basket that holds a roll top backpack
(UPSO, made by Carradice), plus a saddlebag if I need the extra room.

Post-Covid, I only have to be in the office twice a week, so I do a longer
route. I find myself less inclined (or perhaps unable) to ride it as fast
as possible compared to the shorter routes I used to do. This makes it a
bit more leisurely.

Finding a nice route is important. It's often worth adding a bit to the
journey to avoid busy roads. My current route goes over the
recent World Championship course, and you can still see 'Sonny Colbrelli'
painted over and over on one of the climbs.

Cheers,
Johnny in Belgium