I'd like to understand better what you mean by this. I agree that, in
general, many improvements so-called to everyday life have been
technologies that do things for you and therefore remove agency and the
resulting pleasure; remove agency except the very basic, almost pre-human
agencies of adding inputs without having to think about results; and by
technologies I mean administrative systems as well as machines. Almost 3
decades ago a friend on a modestly successful upward career path as a
commercial loan officer at a regional bank left after the bank was bought
by a much bigger bank that had rationalized everything and put into place
their program of using statistical analysis to reduce loan decisions to a
checklist instead of what he found fulfilling: getting to know people and
sizing up their circumstances and character, and forecasting outcomes based
on this judgment.

And 20 years ago, when I was married to a pediatrician, the big hospitals
(here in flyover ABQ, NM) had been more and more making diagnosis and
treatment a matter of following rationalized, statistically tested, general
checklists, with other checklists to measure "productivity." She is now in
1-woman private practice, and good for her.

Is this what you mean?

It's funny and sad that more and more -- not only hard, dirty, dangerous
physical labor, but human thought and creativity has been replaced by
rationalized systems evaluated statistically, so that even some previously
professional work has been reduced to hewing wood and drawing water,
metaphorically speaking: plugging in inputs. This started of course with
manufacturing.

I agree that the same trend seems to be taking over cycling, with the
difference that the ultimate agency in cycling is still the person that
pedals. Still, I too like friction, when I don't use the primitive indexing
on Sturmey Archer hubs, or give it all up altogether for fixed drivetrains
-- because of agency.

I do not by any means consider Matthew Crawford a sage, but he's an
intelligent and well educated man who has actually thought through this
sort of thing and expressed his conclusions with surprising clarity for
someone trained as an academic, this in *Shop Class as Soul Craft* and *The
World Beyond Your Head.* Both books assert generally that real-life
confrontation and engagement with real things, notably in the manual
trades*, are much more conducive to virtue** than coding software or even
-- the clientele I write for -- managing the strategies and general
direction and design of business systems, be these entire corporations or
business units or product portfolios or global IT systems using statistical
methods and working to meet the quarterly numbers. Yes, doing otherwise
does indeed put a limit on practical size.

Crawford worked as a journeyman electrician, and owns a business restoring
classic motorcycles.

* Hands-on trades: plumbing, auto mechanics, framing, and I daresay, though
he doesn't extend his descriptions to them, cooking, interior design, event
planning, stock raising, farming on a family scale.

** "Arete," the perfection or fulfillment and thus flourishing of a
specific (= species) kind. The virtue of a hammer is to be well balanced,
properly weighted, and because of this to drive nails efficiently. Crawford
means both the specific excellences of character and the specific
excellences of the practical intelligence; the speculative intelligence is
beyond him. Suntour's classic bar cons by this criterion are highly
virtuous shifting devices. Forget the idea of "virtue" in the modern sense
as something that makes you give up stuff.