I love all the small things that collectively make up cycling and when
"improvements" remove those from necessity it reduces my experience. Some
see cycling from the perspective and definition of performance and make
judgements based on what moves their experience on that spectrum to their
satisfaction. People are the same with the vehicles they purchase, some
want performance as their foremost objective while others may greater
utility over speed and handling.

I guess it is my agency that leads me to prefer being more involved in the
act of cycling. I went through Ergopower and STI phases, I am about
finished with mechanical discs. I saw a YouTube about servicing them after
a wet ride that included replacing the pads, cleaning the caliper, applying
a grease to prevent pads from binding when retracting from the disc...after
a ride in the wet. I ditched a brand of car after the warranty because it
was fiddly and expensive to keep. The previous one had been stalwart but
helpless in bad weather, the latter seemed made of delicate pieces carved
by Lorelei herself, consumed by mundane use far beneath its potential.
Settling up after services felt like real estate closings.

I appreciate sufficiency, not being a bother to anyone, while I do what I
do. Last night I was flagged down by a cyclist with his bike upside down on
the sidewalk. As I neared, he asked if I had a pump, which I have snapped
into its included frame clip that is zip-tied to my Caradice Nelson
Longflap's cross dowel inside the bag. I've posted a picture of this
before. His pump's cup didn't seal to move air yet alone create pressure in
this first need of it's function. My simple Topeak mini road did, even
though I hadn't used it in over a year. It's just part of my kit of things
that assure I will suffice and was happy to offer it's aid. He was
satisfied and thankful.

Last week I rode the GAP to Cumberland, MD. Thursday the forecast of
scattered drizzle and 60s realized as rain in the high 40s. My traditional
mid morning stop for coffee in the past had burned and was boarded up. My
lunch preference was under limited hours still and not yet open for the
day. My best tools were three layers of wool, my old wool Army glove liners
and a space blanket I wrapped with under cover when my layers were wet to
the skin. My body heat dried the wool and kept the wind off me. If I
distrusted the forecast I would have worn my Hiltrek Ventile anorak but I
was in a more breathable shell considering the entirety of my trip. The
day's ride took longer under these accommodations but that is part of what
I enjoy about outings like this.

In the morning after breakfast I rode into the fog discovering that the
rain I had been in was in the form of 7-9" of snow in the higher elevations
as I climbed out of the Casselman River valley. The path was soft from the
wetness it held and as I neared the high point I noticed a left side tick
when my foot neared bottom and I ran through the diagnostics in my mind:
pedal installation in the crank arm, chainring fastener(s), crank bolt
torque securing the right crank arm, bottom bracket (SKF unit) retaining
ring torque or a breaking joint in the bottom bracket area of the frame.
manipulating my pedal stroke I narrowed it to the BB and responded with by
optimizing my tired full circle pedaling and achieved quiet, hopefully
non-destructive ride into Cumberland. Once home and cleaned up I found a
combination of crank bolt torque and BB retaining ring torque
insufficiencies that satisfied my desire to mechanically understand and the
ability accurately assess and diagnose odd sounds or degradation of
functions.

Yeah, deemphasizing my agency in all the facets of cycling is not movement
toward a positive end from my perspective.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh