I too like the extra tire-to-chain clearance for wider tires.  Also, while
I prefer a 2x setup to 1x (for aesthetic and closer gear steps reasons), at
the same time I like some simplicity and don't want a ton of gears, so 7
with the 2x is a good minimal arrangement for me.  Lastly, I like using
(wearing down) all of my gears rather than having one (the 11t) or two that
don't see much action and seem like lost value.