Thanks, Brian and Jeffrey.

I'm afraid that the Sinewave Beacon is out; I need something with
German-spec (or, generally, traffic-appropriate) beam shape. The S Beacon
must be much like my K-Lite: wonderfully bright, but it just blasts the
light out there.*

The B&M IQ X seems the darling: German beam, very bright, very broad, good
standlight, metal case, and half the price of the Edeluxe. What's not to
like? I'll be interested in others' opinions.

Really, the Edeluxe 1 is quite enough for night commuting along familar
roads and paths, even in full darkness and with my poor night vision, but
turning dark corners at speed is anxious-making. And I generally mount a
good battery headlight for occasional use, which serves at the longer stop
lights. Still, for now, the IQ X is at the top of the list.

Aside: I remember the IQ Fly: wonderful compared to my Sanyo and other
bottle dynamos + incandescent headlights, but man! How weak compared to the
Edeluxe!

OTOH, I did use a 12 volt very high end and very expensive ($300 20 years
ago?) bottle + mating incandescent halogen headlight. This was as bright as
many top line LED lights from 20 years ago.

*Last March I rode home from church at 8:30 or 9 pm in a sudden heavy
snowfall. The K-lite just blasted photons out into the cosmic void and all
the jolly wet big snowflakes cheerfully blasted them back at me. I could
see almost nothing beyond the bar unless I rode with 1 hand cupping the top
of the beam.