With the disclaimer that I highly doubt chain width is the OP's problem -
it was just one of the possibilities I introduced, I think old goopy lube
and/or a worn drivetrain are most likely - I do not agree with Mr. Zinn. My
Wipperman 8-speed chain does indeed have a slightly wider inner width than
my 11-speed from the same company. Is it enough to to change the 3/32
designation? Doubtful. Is it enough to mess up running my 11-speed chain on
a 1x chainring labeled 9/10 speed? No. But there's a difference there,
which is why I brought it up while I was throwing darts at the board to see
how many possibilities there was for Matthew's problem.