Even on a mountain bike 500 miles would be a short lifespan for a chain.
Last time I heard a "crack" on my  bike it was because my frame cracked.
Since you use quick links, the appropriate tool to carry is granite talon
tyre lever chain pliers: https://amzn.to/3xuE7j2. I'd also carry the a set
of allen wrenches to remove the FD. (You may also need a screw driver to
remove the FD cage so you can use the chain pliers).