I had this discussion with my wife today, because she is about to join the
Riv Sisters with a Platypus.  I ordered her frame yesterday.
The discussion turned to lights.  Add a front hub generator and a light,
and now you’re talking over $4000 for the bike she wants.
$1750 for a frame, $400 for a set of wheels, $225 for the generator hub,
add fenders, etc., and pretty soon you’re talking real money.

Then the discussion turned to “precious”.  Is she going to ride it to
downtown Atlanta and lock it to a lamp pole?
With my Sam, the question also arose.  Every 5 years I strip it to the bare
frame and reassemble after cleaning and lubing everything.
So it looks like new and I have a bit of trepidation taking it to town and
locking it to a bike rack.  But I still do it, Brooks B17 and all.

We each have decent, comfortable $800 bikes in addition to our Rivs.  Which
do we ride?  How many locks do we take today?
It wouldn’t be so bad if you could get a replacement Riv.  But the
shipments come in every other year (if that often).  So if yours is stolen
and you want another…what, 55 Sam?  Wait two years and hope for a good
lottery number?  Will it ride the same or have the chainstays grown again?
Does my size now come with 650b wheels when everything else I have is 700c?

I ride the Sam almost every day because I live on a bike trail.  It never
leaves my sight on those rides.
But when the discussion is “Let’s go shopping for groceries at Publix, lock
the bike, spend a half hour shopping, and then come out and see if it’s
still there”…well…
I’m not worried about beausage.  I’m worried about finding it gone.