I suppose I didn't expect the rubber Brooks Cambium vs. a leather Brooks
(or other similar brand leather saddle) could be making the difference
here, but that's a good point. Personally, I prefer leather, but I don't
see a lot of difference in the pliability and cush of the rubber in the
Cambium saddles vs. leather. The biggest thing I can think of is the
ability of the leather to conform over time, whereas the Cambiums just kind
of spring back into their usual shape when you're not riding them. I'm
running a carved version on my Gus (although I also have a standard
Cambium). I feel like the carved version has a bit more give because of the
cut-out.

Thanks everyone for the input! That's what I get for going against my
instincts and my experience with saddles. I blindly read some posts from
Rivendell that said "set your bike up THIS way" and took that as gospel
along with all the photos I had been seeing of similar setups - without
starting from a familiar point first, then adjusting from there. To further
this experiment, I'm going to put one of my leather saddles on and level it
up, then see if it feels like it needs any adjustment. I've only been
riding the Cambium, so it may make a difference.