Patrick

Good point on rigidity.

I don't think the modern Pletscher is much more rigid, but the mounting is
more rigid.  The folks up there typically mount the older style rack's
front to the rack mounts on the stays using a U shaped piece of steel strip
going from the rack mounts and the rack being attached to the bottom of the
U.   This makes the front mounting much more rigid than the steel plate
sandwiched between the stays method Pletscher used before.  The rack's flat
mounting piece in the front bolts directly to the U shaped piece oif steel
strip

I'll try to get a picture of the U shaped mounting the next time we get up
there.

Also, I think the new Pletscher racks mount directly to the rack mounts,
increasing rigidity of the front mounting.  .

These folks use recent frames, vs older frames, and they come with rack
mounts on the stays.   The new frames fit the needs of these folks better
than  the older frames, which typically don't have rack mounts.  Also, new
Fuji's, Jamis's, etc come with new components which work good vs 'legacy'
equipment which can be hard to find when replacement is needed.  They want
utility, not really 'memories'.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ