Oh yes, I've done that a zillion times, tho' I used small auto hose clamps.
In fact, a few years ago, I rigged up a QR wire basket (from an Office
Depot office storage system) for the rear rack on my Dahon Hon Solo. IIRC,
I clamped a wood block to the underside of the basket shaped to fit snugly
into a space on the rack platform, and held the basket down with fore and
aft toe clips. Worked a treat and carried 2 full paper grocery sacks.