I have a nutty setup at the moment:
Silver 1 shifters
R7000 105 rear derailleur (yes, this is modern 11 speed which has a lower
cable pull ratio)
11-32 8 speed cassette
9 speed chain

In general, it works really well. I have has some issues "finding" the
larger cogs. When shifting from small to the 6th or 7th cogs, it sometimes
either doesn't go enough, or goes too much. I make up for it by
intentionally shifting too far and then trimming it back down. A bit
tiresome, but I'm okay with it for the simplicity of the setup.

Also, since this RD has a 1.4 cable pull ratio rathe than a 1.7 of the 9
speed and earlier RDs, it sould have finer movement. I believe that I have
experienced this. The R7000 is definitely more forgiving than the RD-6500
that I had on previously. Thought if I want to go back to my indezed
shifters, I know this RD won't work.

Cheers!
Ben