On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 11:54:11 AM UTC-6 Scott wrote:

> ... It appears RD ratio is a critical variable that really deepens the
> analysis one would have to do bench top to get a feel for how a certain
> combo of bits would work in theory before trying. Personally, I think I'd
> be more inclined to just install the bits and see how they work before
> undergoing that much analysis, but it's educational to at least better
> understand how bits function together and the interplay between different
> parts of a system.

Exactly! It's not like I used a super-accurate digital measuring device to
come up with the numbers. When you're talking .1 mm, you can understand why
it's hard to make a cable-shifting indexed system work reliably on tightly
packed gears. I was able to confirm on the road my spreadsheet prediction
that a Shimano 9-speed lever can work with a SunTour rear derailer and a
Shimano 8-speed cassette.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA