Campy Ekar is machanical only and has 13 speeds. I've heard nothing but
good reviews (also, how high price comments). My guess is that they just
have a lot of cable pull and the derailleur is a lower ratio than other
mechanicals.

There's also the Ratio Technology retro-fit kit that turns SRAM 10 or 11
speed mechanical into a 12 speed with their SRAM MTB mechanical standard,
so one can run road shifters up front and mechanical 12speed MTB in the
back. I've also heard good things about this.

I think the problems mainly come when people try to make a 1.7:1 ratio
derailleur (like Shimano 7-8-9 speeds) work on higher numbers of cogs.