"he couldn't read the tire sizes (I did ask),"

Ask him if he can read the names of the tires.  The two Hilsens and the
Goodrich have Compass/Rene Herse tires on them with a clearly readable
label.  The name of the tire guarantees the size.  Barlow Pass, Snoqualmie
Pass,  Babyshoe Pass, etc.

BL in EC