I think some of it has to do with the fact that you have to commit or walk
on a single speed. Whereas on the geared bike you can always gear down and
take it easy. I would imagine there are many times on the quickbeam where
you shift down if you could but you don't because you can't, so you end up
riding a bigger gear ultimately moving faster than you would if you could
gear down. Try riding the Bleriot in just one gear that is similar to the
Beam's. Are you faster or slower.

Personally I only have an SS/Fixed Quickbeam bike right now but the geared
one is in the works. I will report back.