On May 20, 6:13 pm, Tyler <mock...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  The bleriot feels like it's dragging some extra weight
> regardless of the gear that I'm in

is it?  i wouldn't be surprised if it weighed 3-5 pounds more than the
QB.

> Sometimes I wonder if the hetres are just "slow" but that seems to go
> counter to the ride reports of dozens of people who ride with hetres
> and claim they're quite fast.

i don't know if i'd call them "quite" fast.  they roll nicely - no
doubt. and they can't be beat when the pavement ends.  but it's still
a very fat tire, and even at a relatively higher psi, i find them to
be a bit of a drag if i'm trying to ride "fast" on the road, i.e.
accelerate/power-up over rollers/etc.  the cush works against me -
very noticeably - on hard efforts, especially when i stand.  this is
not at all a knock against that tire - it's not a road racing tire.
it's a fantastic all-rounder tire, but it has it's limits.

like jeremy, i'm also curious as to what psi your putting your tires.

>I thought about swapping to cypres tires . .. especially given that I've read
>you won't tell much of a difference
> between hetres and cypres on paved roads.

I have a different opinion here - the cypres is lighter than the
hetre, and at higher pressures, it behaves more like a "fast" road
tire than the Hetre in my experience.  again, it's more noticeable
when the road goes up or when I want to accelerate/push hard.

that said - yeah, you might notice much of a difference between the
two if you aren't riding somewhat aggressively.

> The quickbeam is the first single speed bike that I've owned.  Is it
> common to find that a single speed bike is noticeably more efficient
> for its 1 gear relative to a multi-speed bicycle in a gear of the same
> gain ratio ?

yes.