On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 9:17:48 AM UTC-5 Dick Pahle wrote:
trust  its ok to ask for product recomendation here. been riding with toe
clips forever and ready to switch to clipless. anyone here have thoughts
about a good pedal for a beginner. something easy to get in and out of. i
get indegestion looking at all the different kinds/styles/types.

Okay, I'll be the first to say it ... don't bother! I use Crank Brothers
eggbeater pedals on most of my bikes, and I'm about to put some flat pedals
on one of my regulars and do a fair amount of riding without bindings to
see if I really still want them. I started going down the no-binding path a
while ago, but much of my riding was commuting and I actually liked
bindings for being able to accelerate quickly in traffic. If I was doing
any group riding, I'd still want them, and for that reason even if I ditch
the eggbeaters for most of my bikes, I will still keep them on my "group
ride" bike (my Riv Road).

That said, I've been very happy with eggbeaters because 1) they're super
easy entry and exit (as long as you replace the cleats regularly), 2) low
profile cleats with lots of walkable shoe options, 3)there's no tension
adjustment required and the shoe-cleat-pedal interface is secure as long as
you replace the cleats regularly and use shims as needed, 4) choice of
fixed or floating cleats (I prefer fixed), 5) no extra weight. You do want
shoes with fairly stiff soles, because the pedal itself offers no support.
On the down side, they don't have a flat/binding two-sided option, but that
hasn't been an issue for me. I have a box full of old Shimano pedals and
cleats. I could never get happy with the shoe-cleat-pedal interface, it was
always too loose and wobbly or too hard to release.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA