On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 6:46:46 AM UTC-6 rmro...@gmail.com wrote:

I was just writing elsewhere that (so far) my 2 x 7 drivetrain I installed
on my Gus is like having two 1x7 drivetrain’s. That’s the magic of the
Silver wide/low crank with 38/24 rings. On road/gravel rides I’ve yet to
use the 24 & I’ve not spun out in the top end. On local quite hilly
singletrack I just put it on the 24 & leave it there.:)

Agree.  But I actually think the magic lies in the long chainstays of the
Clem.  You can stay on any chainring and still have use of the full range
of the cassette, without worrying about cross-chaining issues like
excessive chain wear or rubbing  on shift cages or adjacent cogs.  Much
different than old short chainstay bikes where you HAD to move the move the
chain through the front rings as you moved across the rear cassette, and
ended up with far fewer usable gear combos than the numbers would suggest.
In turn (and to address Joe's issue)  it becomes much less important if the
front shifts are super smooth or reliable.  The jump can (and might as
well) be bigger, too.  If you think of it as two 1× drivetrains and only
shift the front on occasion, and if you can live with some idiosycracies
(read:  theft deterrent), it saves alot of stress of being a perfectionist.

Sent from my iPhone