Hi Leah,
Just to pile on a little more- I agree on removing the racks and extra
weight and getting the biggest tires that fit. Schwalbe Thunder Burts are
my go to for dirt roads and they ride well on the road too. I already
shared  with you privately that I think the Platypus is a tremendous dirt
road bike if you can let it get dirty.
The big tires will help you overcome the gravel/dirt anxiety if you still
have it.
Tom Palmer
Twin Lake, MI