On May 29, 7:08 am, jandrews_nyc <jasonaschwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> carrying a modest load, etc.  I certainly don't feel like using
> anything bigger than a 48t up front and based on how I would like this
> bike to ride..I'm feeling something like a 44t / 28t compact double.
> I'm finding that my crankset choices are limited if I want to set
> something up as described.  I don't want to spring for a TA, but
> aren't there other choices out there that would enable me to set this
> up?  From my limited research, I think Shimano is out.

Hi Jason,

The traditional "compact" double has a BCD of 110mm.  Since the
smallest chainring that will fit a 110mm BCD is a 34T, you won't have
any luck trying to squeeze a 28T chainring into any of the usual
"compact" cranks that are on the market.  You could try using a triple
crank with 110/74mm BCDs and then leave out the outermost chainring to
make a 110/74 double, but you may have to get creative with chainring
bolts and/or spindle lengths.

So it looks like you're stuck with either getting a relatively
expensive crank like the WhiteInd VBC or TA if you want the 44/28
double.  If you're willing to forgo the idea of a double, a cheaper
option is to go with mountain bike triple cranks.  Those usually run
the chainring sizes you require (and then even lower) but may have
other undesirables such as general ugliness (!) and a wide Q-factor.

I do have a bit of a question regarding your use of the NOS Simplex
front derailleur for a 44/28.  As I understand, those Simplex front
derailleurs are usually designed for much larger chainrings.  If so,
would they shift smaller chainrings well, being that the curvature of
the cage is mismatched?