I've got an old Gitane with Simplex Super LJ derailleurs, and wanted
to change the gearing around a bit.  6 cogs in the rear - Maillard
Helicomatic :-)  I got a 28t cog and removed the 22t cog.  14-28,
which maxes it out.  Then I replaced the Sugino Mighty Competition
(52/42) with a Stronglight Impact (48/34) - did I mention that I had
to work with the original French BB cups and find a spindle with a
modern square taper?  Downtube friction shifters (again Simplex, and
very pretty).

What I'm working up to saying is that it all works just fine.  My
street is 8% just below my house, and I ride up it no problem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lynnefitz/sets/72157603685138782/