Thanks for the notes, everyone.

Ted: By proper cycling shoes I mean something that takes a cleat and lets
you fit your big old EEE in there comfortably. I haven't tried any clipless
pedals but I've been curious. Part of my research has been seeking out an
appropriate shoe. Watching your foot spill over and obscure the insole is
really something. That's a great tip for a check of the true size of the
shoe.

Definitely see the advantages of flat pedals for longer rides and general
practicality. Regarding regular shoes for bikes, I've found that a plain
old Samba in size 11.5 works well enough for me with flat pedals. Maybe the
Velo Samba would suit me. I also like the Bedrock cairn sandals with the
flat footbed. Sometimes I can dig Blundstones but I usually forget to raise
my saddle enough to accommodate them and I'm a little less comfortable
riding. While I like Birks I don't find them particularly good for riding,
though I've done up to 25 miles in my Londons.

I love the look of a traditional black or brown leather cycling shoe with
minimal adornment. But my foot isn't slender and doesn't come to a fine
point at the end.

Kurt: Sounds like your explorations have been wide-ranging! Thanks for the
links, these are all new to me. Not sure when Ron's getting more Stomp Lox
but I'd wager he has some coming... some day.