Okay, I see what's happening :)  Richard, the min insertion for a stem is
always marked on the stem, and it's to the top of the lock nut. The min
insertion line on my stems on hand range from 6.5cm for a relatively short
Nitto quill adapter to 7.5cm for taller Genetic brand one. My tall Nitto
Faceplatter stem is about 7cm.

2 cm below the lock nut is quite insufficient, as in "Danger Danger Will
Robinson !" That "may" explain the wiggle, not being in far enough. When
it's in to at least the min insertion line there should not be any wiggle
at all, as in zero. Stems shouldn't move when tightened, like seatposts.

If your stem isn't tall enough, tell me exactly which one you have. I have
an unused Nitto HighRiser, the original ones Riv had made in 135mm
extension @10 degree up and a 31.8 clamp that I'll see you if you need it.
31.8 to 25.4 shims are common.Those high risers with the long quill and
positive rise are as tall as you're gonna get out of a one piece stem. If
that isn't high enough then the bike is too small ! Buy hey, if you ride a
59 I'll sell you my unused original orange Susie if you like as it has a
much taller stack than any other RIv model. Too tall for me, I'd need a
negative 75d stem.... hah hah .

If the stem still wiggles when inserted to proper depth then the steering
tube is out of spec. If that's the case, Riv will help you out !

FWIW, I bought a VO Rando frame that arrived yesterday and today got an
email stating the rear recessed brake holes were made too small. So yeah,
"stuff happens" even with "professionals".