Good morning,
I just got a new set of Racer (regular) brakes for my sidepull Hillborne.
Everything's set up, the brakes are grabbing/stopping, but I'm getting the
most horrific noises from the pads on the front brakes. I'm using the Kool
Stop Thinlines that Paul sends with the brakes. I set them up following the
instructions from Paul initially (no toe-in), and the brakes squealed on
the first test ride. So I toed them in and now I'm getting this awful
vibration when the pads touch the rims that gets louder/more intense with
speed. The vibration can be felt in the saddle...all through the frame.
Truly harrowing stuff here. When I full pull the brake levers, the
vibration kind of goes away but I get a light squeal (even with brakes toed
in).

I've never set up centerpull brakes or any brakes with a straddle
wire/hanger. I can't see how the problem could be from anything but how the
pads are hitting. I've double checked to see that the unit is centered when
I tighten it. The one goofy thing I'm noticing is that the right arm of the
brake seems lower because I have the pad set higher in the arm than on the
left side...but I've taken the pads off completely and recentered the brake
unit and I'm getting the same results.

I've read a little about how big frames (this is a 62cm Sam) can have the
vibrations because of the length of cable and how tension varies through
the pull (or something like that). I've also read that this kind issue
could be from cheap/flimsly brakes...but I would hope that Paul brakes
would be above suspicion here. I've also heard that if something is loose
on the brake assembly, the vibrations can happen.

However...I'm convinced it's in how I have the pads set...I don't get
vibrations when the pads are not toed-in...toeing in almost seems to bring
about the vibrations.

Any ideas anyone has would be very helpful. I'm at the end of my rope and
considering removing the Pauls and going back to the squisy and not very
good Tektros Riv put on it originally.

Thanks!
Ben in Omaha