On Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 4:59:17 PM UTC-4 eddietheflay wrote:

 My current bike has Billie bars installed on a very tall adjustable stem.
Effective top tube on this bike is 59.5cm. Reach to both the rear portion
at the grips and front portion at the curves seems quite comfortable. But
when steering from the grips things seem really twitchy. Wondering if a
shorter top-tubed bike with a longer stem would make things more steady?

My experience with a Quickbeam was similar - upright bars (Albatross) and
using the ends of the bars made for a very quick, "twitchy", light steering
feel. I attribute this to two factors. The first, and IMO more important
one, is that my position on the bike was far more upright, resulting in
much less weight on the front wheel. The second is that my hands were much
farther from the steering axis.

So, if a shorter top-tube and longer stem results in a) your position being
the same, and b) moving your hands closer to the steering axis (which it
would if on your current setup your hands at the ends of the bar are behind
the steering axis) then I'd expect a slight reduction in twitchiness. I'd
expect it to be maybe imperceptible, though, because the change in hand
distance to steering axis will be tiny, as the bigger factor in that regard
is the handlebar width.

Hand distance from the steering axis does two things. First, it gives more
leverage, so less effort is required to put an equal amount of force into
turning the fork or (what's really important) changing the angle of the
bike relative to the ground (or resisting other forces trying to change the
angle to the ground). Second, the flip side of that, for a given amount of
fork rotation (or body/bike/ground angle changes) your hands have to move a
greater distance. It's worth noting, only because some things I've seen
written seem confused on this issue, that if you change the stem length and
also change the bars, such that your hands wind up in the same place
relative to the steering axis, you will have zero change on steering feel.
You can put a 1000mm stem on there and super long backward reaching bars
and your leverage won't have changed. The amount of flex in that system
will likely have changed though, and that could impact "feel" in other ways.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA