That's a really nice piece and he's right about all of it. I have two
hobbies, bicycles and woodworking. In both cases, my eye is drawn to those
"inefficient" details and it's what I love most about both of them.

With bicycles, it's the consistency of a fillet braze from someone who has
spent decades honing their craft. It's the lugged frames with their sharp
points, transitions and painted outlines and accents that tell the story of
someone who actually laid their hands on the frame during its production
and cared about the aesthetics of the outcome, even in areas where most
people may not even look, such as under the top tube or bottom brackets.
Or, in the case of custom bikes, the choice of tubing and how its diameter
and thickness were taken into account with the rider's size, weight and
preferred riding style to make a bike that becomes more an extension of the
body rather than a vehicle atop which the body sits and controls.

With woodworking, you can see this same beauty in the "imperfections" and
small details in a piece of furniture. The surface marks left by a hand
plane, a rasp or a mallet can not be reproduced by a "perfect" machine and
you know someone spent time and poured sweat into the production of the
piece, using their eye as the guide instead of a formula. You can see it in
a dovetail that has a tiny gap which exposes that no automated machine cut
the pins and tails. It can be found in how the grain of multiple boards in
a glue-up are aligned or alternating to make a pleasing pattern or fluid
pattern.

In both of these areas, beauty extends beyond the immediately visible and
into the experience; exposed over time through working on, riding and using
the end product. These are all indications that somebody took pride in
their work and that they weren't just trying to increase margins with
mechanized efficiency but actually care not just about the object being
made but about the experience of those who will continue to use it for
years and decades in the future.

--
Ted Wood < ted.l.w...@gmail.com >