Tires *like* the W106 700x35 Nokians work well for snow and ice on paths,
however on rutted ice, they have no studs to pull you out.
Tires *like* the W240 700x40 Nokians are more aggressive with knobs, stud
volume and stud placement.  You can ride these pretty much anywhere.

Schwalbe Marathon Winter and Ice Spiker Pros are great tires and worth a
look.

As stated above, more aggressive tread and studs drive traction more than
tire width.

I just bought some nice NOS Schwalbe 26x2.35" folding Ice Spiker Pros for
my Riv Mtn/Expedition.

Justus,
Mpls, MN