On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 7:34:32 PM UTC-6 John Rinker wrote:

Do any of you fine folks with more experience in such matters than me have
any recommendations for studded tires for my Hunq?

As Andy said, winter conditions are like craft cocktails! And, as a result,
what works in some conditions might be terrible in others. For me, those
conditions regularly varied between my morning ride to work and my evening
ride home. Others have covered the broad range, but I will add one point. I
found that 2.1" Marathon tires were deadly in slush. They had just enough
float that at any speed above walking pace the front would float up off the
underlying pavement or ice/snow pack, and the traction then would match the
mythical frictionless surface of physics.  With all the salt that is used
on roads here, temps can be pretty well below freezing and we still have
mostly slush, so I found that skinnier tires worked much better.
Unfortunately, that means that when dealing with frozen ruts, there's a lot
more bone shaking going on. Nokian W106 (700x35) on my Quickbeam were the
best combo I ever used for commuting in Milwaukee.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA