FWIW, my buddy uses 26" tubes in his 29er wheels.  They're lighter than 29er
UL tubes (and half the cost) as well as the tubeless fluids/strips.  He's
pretty happy with his set up, and doesn't puncture very often.  He says it's
not a hassle to mount them, but YMMV.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <
thill....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't want to get into a 2nd hand argument with Eric Hjertberg about
> aerodynamics of spokes, but I would suggest that the OP is riding a
> Hillborne (not the usual choice for the TT crowd) and that he just did
> his first century with relatively large, heavy touring tires. I'm sure
> there are at least a dozen things he could do to refine his technique
> or free/cheap ways to make his bike faster that would have more effect
> than cutting the aero drag of a few spokes. But now that you mentioned
> it, maybe Jan Heine can repeat his tire rolling resistance tests,
> except to test the effect of different numbers and lacing patterns of
> spokes. I have an academic background in fluid mechanics for whatever
> that's worth (not much), and based on no data, I believe the
> aerodynamic effect of a few spokes is negligible. But I've been wrong
> before.
>
> I don't believe ultralight tubes get punctured more often. If
> something sharp goes through the tire, it'll most likely poke a hole
> in any tube, regardless of whether that tube is ultralight or normal
> thickness. I've been using UL tubes for a couple years, with no
> noticeable increase in my flat-rate. Nothing fancy, just Kenda or QBP-
> brand lightweight tubes. Curiously, probably because a lot of people
> are leery of lightweight tubes, I often find them cheaper than regular
> tubes.
>
> On Jun 14, 9:05 pm, "XO-1.org Rough Riders" <adventureco...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Eric Hjertberg, who knows more about wheels than the rest of the
> > planet combined, told me that the combined frontal area of 36 spokes
> > is more than the bicycle frame itself, plus the spokes are spinning
> > through the air as the bike moves forward, further adding drag to our
> > forward movement. Thus, "the point" of having less spokes is about
> > aerodynamics, NOT weight.
> >
> > As for ultralight tubes, any time saved because they are lighter and
> > offer less rolling resistance is probably negligible, especially when
> > compared to the time lost to the higher frequency of punctures they
> > will provide.
> >
> > - Chris Kostman
> > La Jolla, CAhttp://www.XO-1.orghttp://www.adventurecorps.com
> >
> > On Jun 14, 6:39 pm, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <thill....@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > The spoke count matters very little compared to the weight of the tire/
> > > tube/rim combination. You can save a bunch of rolling weight and
> > > probably improve rolling resistance, for example, simply by switching
> > > to an ultralight tube (I almost always use ultralight tubes). You save
> > > even more rolling weight by switching to any of the 200-250-ish gram
> > > 25-28 mm tires on the market. If you go with new wheels, I second an
> > > earlier recommendation of the Velocity Aerohead. Lacing radial in the
> > > front and half-radial in the back probably saves as much spoke weight
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy