Well, I'm not sure about riding elsewhere, but here in Tucson during
the summer I certainly don't wear wool jerseys.  I have a number of
nice wool jerseys, but they remain on hangars in the closet during our
summer weather.

Personally, I much prefer the way a technical cycling jersey wicks the
moisture away (while providing some cooling).  I have several lighter
weight jerseys by various makers (Pearl Izumi, Santini, Louis Garneau
and Giordana), and I'll take one of these in preference to a wool
jersey any day during our summer season (May through mid-October).
They don't stink, and I can just throw them in the washing machine and
dry them in the dryer.  No hand washing, using Woolite, blocking the
garment or anything like that.

I'm seriously considering one of the jerseys made by Ground Effect in
New Zealand as a summer weight jersey.  Their "Slingshot" model, with
polyester and a cotton outer layer looks very nice for our weather.
Here's a link:
http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-SLI-SUM.htm

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ