I've used sealant in inner tubes since about 2013, when after years of
using ~utility tires (Paselas, Kojaks, Fatboys, City Slickers, Tom Slicks,
Avocets) and fixing >150 flats per year I tried a pair of new "open
tubular" Paris Roubaix and got 5 goathead flats within 10 or 15 miles.
Stan's worked in my 700C X 28 standard road tubes and, after a couple of
years, Orange Seal worked even better.

I use Orange Seal in the lightest-weight butyls I can find; notable 100
gram actual 650B/559 X 1.8 Schwalbes and 70 gram actual Schwalbe 650C X
20/559X1", as well as Conti 650C/559 ditto, Specialized 26X1" ditto,  and
(IIRC) lightweight Vittoria ditto.

OS in tubes at 30 to 60 psi works I'd guess a metaphorical 905 or 95% as
well as OS in fat tubeless low pressure tires.

*OS Regular Formula!* OS Endurance, wonderful in fat lp tubeless tires, *does
not work for me* in road tubes at 30 to 60 psi.

The penetrants I face are almost always goatheads. I get the very
occasional (<1X/year for 2-3K miles across 3 bikes) larger hole that OS
Regular won't seal, but even those are 9 times out of 10 slow leaks and let
me get home before the tire goes flat (short rides, =/<30 miles). I carry 2
spare tubes, either containing 2 fl oz of OS Regular or -- now prefer --
dry + 4 fl oz bottle of OS Regular, and on the very rare occasions I have
to stop mid ride for a puncture I change the tube and repair the puncture
with a Rema once back home.

You can patch tubes with sealant as long as you clean all sealant off the
area to be patched (I use alcohol just to be sure), then rough it, glue,
and patch as usual.

Stan's used to leave rubber octopuses of dried sealant in tubes after 12 or
18 months; OS regular does not do that; I only add more -- 1X year or less
often -- when my tubes start deflating and not sealing immediately -- due,
I think, to many small punctures over 12-18 months that leak very small
amounts of sealant into the tire carcase, so that eventually there is no
longer enough left in the tube to do its job. This compares to replacing OS
Endurance every 3 or 4 months in lp tubeless tires in our dry climate; in
very dry hot weather ~3 months, in colder, more humid weather, ~4 months.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*