From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com> On
Behalf Of Garth
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2024 3:09 AM
To: RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [RBW] TPU inner tubes - Anyone using them?

On Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 1:08:28 AM UTC-4
travis...@gmail.com<mailto:travis...@gmail.com> wrote:
When I wrote that the sizes and weights explained the appeal to "oldez", I was
referring to riders like myself trained by the bicycle press from adolescence
to stop and look -- and even spend, again -- to save some grams.

Chis Fly might also have been thinking of the experience of riders saving less
weight than was the promise of "CO2 cartridges will replace pumps", what with
the backup cartridges in case of failure to dispense correctly or the
insufficiency of just one, or two.

The expected maximum benefit for all the risks of disappointment in TPU tubes
is estimated in tests with measurement repeatability of  +- 0.3 watts, on the
order of 2 watts per tire @50psi compared to a thin butyl tube.  Expected
benefit compared to the lightweight butyl tube may be no more than 1 watt per
tire , about the energy loss of a tube rubbing inside your tire. (Latex tubes
are grippy.)

(I apologize that the rightmost original column with average energy losses in 3
fast 25mm tires @ 60psi would not fit in a screen shot. The lower the pressure,
the greater the expression of between-tube differences.)

[https://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch/attach/30e76badecf96/image0.png?part=0.0.1&view=1]

- --
Harry P Travis
Portland, OR USA