As I am getting older I find my balance is not as good as it used to be. At
72 I had not worn a helmet in many years. 3 1/2 weeks ago I took a bad
spill, tire hitting a raised curve on a bike trail, one I use to get to
quiet street to ride. My reflexes are not as good as they used to be. I
landed on my left side, bruised forehead, skin tissue damage on my left
side at shoulder and ribs. I took 2 short rides this week,  with a helmet,
I don’t like them but but my balancing seems to be a bit off, maybe a mixte
would be better now. I’ve been sleeping in my recliner as it has been the
most comfortable place. I will wear a helmet now as age may dictate better
protection. I also think tha wider bars I use now offer less control as I
had 3 near balance issues yesterday at very slow speeds.