Thanks, Ted,
That is helpful.

What I'm learning is that not only does the Sam have the same effective
geometry as my Gordon BLT, it also has the same frame weight. Your fork is
a little lighter; mine was  970 g with the race installed; the frame (size
52, more like a 57 Sam) weighed just under 2700 without the bottom bracket.

Other than then not-so-pretty unicrown fork, there's really no reason to
get a Sam over the Gordon for me, and I'll be playing with the setup of the
BLT to make it Sam-like. If I get curious, maybe I'll get  a fork, or in a
year or two I'll have a different idea what Riv model I should own. One of
these days I should get one, on general principle.

I really appreciate that you remembered my request.

cheers -mathias