Agreed.

Don't do anything new to your bike.

Don't do anything new to yourself (food, liquids).  Do what you always do.

I ride 50 - 100 miles on a regular basis with 2 bottles of water and 2
bananas.
Having said that, I ride mostly in the morning ~ 4:30am when it is not hot.

Actually I just rode 50 this morning before work on the quickbeam.
Breaking my rules, two water bottles only - we were out of bananas.
Coffee and a bagel now.

Andreas