I made myself one of these a couple of years ago. Along with the Ray-
way quilt, it's how i always camp now. I prefer to sleep outside a
tent, but the tarp is super-light and compact, and if rain's a
possibility, I pitch it. I also made the netting insert, but have
never used it. have yet to camp in conditions where the bugs are
terrible in the middle of the night, and a couple bites doesn't really
bother me much; worth the price to sleep under the stars, IMHO.

You can also buy something similar pretty cheap, like Kent Peterson
describes here:
http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2009/05/closer-to-fine.html

Keep it simple and light.