On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Ray Shine <r.sh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I mostly agree with Rene. I have used a Hennessey hammock for extended
> backpacking trips.  It is very comfortable, but if the temperature drops
> below 35 degrees, it is difficult to stay warm in a hammock AND keep the
> weight down at the same time.

Hennessey hammock has an underquilt that packs away super light and
small. The whole set up is pricey, but it makes the hennessey a pretty
attractive option if you're willing to spend the money.

But even with a light pad, I've slept in the Hennessey in freezing
weather and done ok. When it stays warm all night (over 50F), nothing
beats a hammock in my opinion.

Btw: some people have had issues learning a quick and easy way to
deploy the Hennessey hammock. I camped with Alex Wetmore about a month
ago and he's got the system dialed in (big surprise there). He solves
the knot and hammock centering/leveling issue with a simple hardware
upgrade: http://tinyurl.com/265kyhf

And he solves the packing/unpacking with a quilt issue by stuffing the
whole thing in tubes of light fabric, so he can tie off to the trees
while the hammock is still stuffed in an intestine-looking tube. It
literally takes him under 5 minutes to get his hammock set up.

I only use bivvy for cold camping. If it's more than 45F or so at
night, a bivvy just melts me. But for early-season S24O or winter
camping where night time temps can fall below freezing, a bivvy is a
great super light solution. When it's raining, I'll bring along the
fly from my Hennessey: http://tinyurl.com/2fa8bvl

Another good option for hot summer with bugs is a bug tent:
http://www.rei.com/product/777771
It's 1.5 lbs and about $50.

I don't ever haul tents around anymore. Though I probably would if I
camped at campgrounds where other people were camping close by.

--
John Speare
Spokane, WA USA