Another vote for San Clemente. I like it because it's about halfway
between LA and SD. A little off the main drag, so it feels quieter
than some other campgrounds. (Although the last couple of times I
stayed there, I was startled awake by transients setting up camp in
the middle of night.)

Not sure where you would camp if you were to break up the trip into 2
nights. I don't know of any public campsites north of Doheney. You
could bike off-road and camp at Crystal Cove State Park like the SoCal
Riv riders did.

TinyURL.com/2b39c58

Afaik, San Onofre and South Carlsbad (as Michael stated) have
eliminated their hiker/biker sites.