All great information here - especially James' thoughts on coffee,
beer, pizza.  I'll add Pannikin coffee roasters in the old train
station in Leucadia.

As for stops, if you really want to make two stops, Crystal Cove above
Laguna Beach was nice when we +25O'd there last year -- and Carlsbad
would make a good second (I've also heard they don't have hiker/biker
sites).  Alternatively San Clemente/Cardiff (San Elijo) would work.
San Clemente is a big campground - and you can camp up the creek
rather than along the beach & railroad tracks.

Let me know when you get into San Diego, as I can recommend plenty of
places for cheap and excellent food.

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.