I agree. Seems like the placement of the bottle cage bosses need not
be so low on a 60cm. Especially so low that they overlap the derailer
clamp.

However...

I have a double-top-tube 60cm Hillborne. While its bottle cage bosses
are reasonable where they are (on mine they're both solidly above the
derailer clamp), the simple addition of a frame bag mount (not the bag
itself) to the lower top tube has made it rather tedious to use the
seat tube bottle cage for an actual bottle. I never anticipated that
I'd be able to use the actual bag and still have good access to the
bottle cage. But I had hoped to be able to use the bottle cage when
only the bag's attachment dealy is in place. So, on my frame anyway,
having them a little lower would be nice. They could be a solid inch
or more lower without a chance of overlapping the derailer.

I'm thinking of adding a clamp below the front derailer specifically
to *lower* the bottle cage mount position so that the cage is more
generally useful. I haven't yet measured to see if it would be
practical to do so.

All that said... As problems go, this one barely rates. And it's
probably the most glaring "imperfection" (if it even qualifies as one)
my Hillborne has. It is one fantastic bike. Easy to build up,
fantastic to ride.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean