Design flaw?  No.  Design choice with which some will disagree?
Yes.

Many cages clear the FD without standoffs...the King Cage Riv sells
being my favorite

For every frame with a low mount seat tube H2O setup, there's an
observer pointing out that it's unnecessarily harder to reach
For every frame with a high mount seat tube H2O setup, there's an
observer pointing out that it's unnecessarily harder to shoulder the
bike

Being able to easily reach the seat tube H2O bottle in my mind would
only be important if you needed two different beverage choices while
riding.  Otherwise it's easy-access on the downtube and backup water
on the seattube.  Swap them out when the downtube one is empty.  What
it gets you is extra space in the frame for a bag or for shouldering
the bike.

Low-mount H2O bosses have screwed me up a few times when I've wanted
to use a 'low-clamp' front derailleur.