On Aug 4, 12:04 pm, JoelMatthews <joelmatth...@mac.com> wrote:

> William includes the cost of the bottom bracket and the tax.  No
> matter the crankset, you will need a bottom bracket.  If you buy the
> TA from Peter White, no taxes unless you are in New Hampshire.

Agree, but the price for the crankset without bb and tax was $466,
that's more than the $285 I cited for the White. Further, the place I
cited gives another 10% discount AND no tax!  So the white crankset,
WITHOUT BB, is $256. Moreover, the place also had a free shipping
option. A little bit cheaper than the TA.

> You can also save money buying less expensive chain rings. TA
> chainrings are more expensive than most.  They are also much better
> made and will perform better and longer than most other brands.  If
> long lasting performance is of value, spending a few dollars more up
> front makes sense.

Agree, I have TA rings on one bike - expensive, but good stuff! I
would put it in the same category as Campy rings!  In fact, TA rings
may be better! Still, Sugino and many others made very good rings that
last a long time too.

> The beauty of the TA Carmina is its flexibility.  Being able to change
> spiders allows a lot of configurations not available with other
> cranks.

Since the William was talking about a double with a 46/30 ring combo,
that comes in 172.5mm, the White would fit that too. In fact, you
could get a double with a 52/24 if that's what works for you. Good
Luck!