I use 7sp friction shifting Joel.  I've never used indexed shifting.
If you look at a regular non pinned chainring compared to the pinned
ones, you'll see the ramps are set so high, close to the teeth, that
your range of use is limited.  I was told I'd have no issue with using
a 8sp chain with these ..... oops ..... live and learn.

At this point I don't know if it's the BB or the crank, or the
connection of the two at the tapers.