On Aug 4, 5:02 pm, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 13:59 -0700, Garth wrote:
> > A Shimano UN54 BB is JIS for sure.
>
> > This experience is from setting up my Bombadil of recent.  Bilenky
> > told my I'd have no issue using an 8sp chain, but like I said, the
> > chain rubs on the rings as I described. With a 7 speed FW, one should
> > be able to use at least 4 cogs in the small ring, 6 in the middle, and
> > 5 in the large. The middle was horrible, the chain would rub on the
> > ramps of the large ring in the 5th cog. The chainline is about 46.5mm.
> > Rings are 24/36/48.  Non pinned rings like Sugino's have a nice
> > beveled edge, allowing for good clearance.
>
> So how does it do with a 9-spd chain?

It made no difference ..... I thought it may .  Maybe it works best
with 10 speed chains, I don't know. I'm in a 7 speed world though. The
rings are Zephyr's ....labelled as 9/10 speed .  One thing odd also
was the middle ring only sits halfway on the ledge of the spider. I've
never seen anything like it.... then again, I've not seen any new
cranks for 10 years.