> Fourth, an annoying clicking sound from either the BB or the interface
> of the two. This is the second crank that has been noisy. My Zephyr
> creaked with a UN72, but it eventually went away. This sound is
> different, more clicking, and it's definitely from the BB area.  I
> must say I'm no fan of cartridge BB's, the three I've used have all
> been noisy. With cups and cones, I never heard one noise.

I can think of no reason why a crank would cause clicking.  Carmina is
not a BB.  If the problem is with the BB, get another BB.  As long as
it has JIS taper it will work with the crank.  I am using mine with a
White Ind. B.B.  I don't have the bike yet, but the builder has said
nothing about noise.

> Third, the rings. If you're using a 10 speed setup, it may be okay.
> For 7-8 speed setups, forget it. The rings, with all the ramps and
> pins, make for a limited number of cogs available to use in each ring.
> 3 for the small, 4 for the mid, 5 for the big. I swapped the rings out
> for regular good ol' non pinned rings.  Even then , I needed to use
> some micro spacers to get good clearance between rings. The small ring
> required a longer spacer too.

Perhaps this is a reference to index shifting?  I use friction.