Think of the bevel as your micro spacer, shifting the center of the
tooth profile left.  I think it is technically backwards, the pics on
peter white's page show the text facing out.  But the 9sp chain was
wedging itself to a complete stop, one side against the large ring,
the rollers on the teeth, not wedged between the rings, as in when w
etry 9sp chaains on our old 7sp mtn stuff.

This is what makes the sugino 0X08ID so appealing, It gets old
tweeking vintage parts to work right with new ones.  It is engineered
from the get go to take a wide range double, full range of lengths
from 160-175 and I do not have to scour the glode looking for a decent
price on quality chainrings.

Rob