I've been riding the same road bike, a Vitus, for the past 28 years.
I started with the Simplex downtube shifters which came on it.  For a
while I had Suntour Accushift butterfly shifters, and then for a long
time, barcons.  Recently I switched back to the downtube shifters
again for a trip down Memory Lane, and boy, it has been a great ride.
I highly recommend that you give them a try.  You may find that you
end up paying more time enjoying the ride and less time unnecessarily
shifting up and down on one-tooth cog differences.